Mercy Medical Center has been guided by the healing hands of the Sisters of Mercy since its inception in 1874. Their leadership and vision helps make Mercy Medical Center a valuable resource for patients, staff and the surrounding community, and we honor the Sisters of Mercy who have made a commitment to lead and serve others.
Sister Helen Amos, RSM, President & CEO
1992 to 1999
Respected visionary leader, Sister Helen transformed the modern face of Mercy by launching a Women’s Health Program which achieved national attention. She laid the groundwork for expansion of Mercy’s campus and developed regionally recognized physician programs. Honored with local, State, national and international awards, Sister Helen garnered the respect of Baltimore’s corporate and civic communities before becoming the first Sister to serve as Executive Chair of Mercy’s Board of Trustees.
Sister Mary Thomas Zinkand, RSM, President
1953 to 1959
1963 to 1992
Beloved administrator who led the hospital for 35 years, Sister Thomas left an indelible mark on the legacy of Mercy. Friend to religious leaders, governors, mayors and members of Congress and the Senate, she also was a humble presence known for walking the hospital halls each night visiting patients. Sister Thomas worked tirelessly on behalf of the Sisters’ healing ministry ensuring that people from all walks of life were welcomed at Mercy.
Sister Ruth Handren, RSM, Administrator
1959 to 1963
Sister Ruth headed Mercy during construction of the Tower Building, now part of McAuley Plaza, which opened in 1963 and helped spark the renaissance of Baltimore. Mercy remained downtown when several other hospitals abandoned the City for the suburbs.
Sister M. Celeste Weynant, RSM, Administrator
Sister Celeste recruited outstanding business leaders to join the Sisters of Mercy and hospital physicians to form Mercy’s first Advisory Board. Together, they reaffirmed Mercy’s commitment to serve the families of Baltimore on the same site where the hospital was founded in 1874.
Sister M. Veronica Daily, RSM, Administrator
1936 to 1941
1947 to 1953
Through Sister Veronica’s perseverance, the old City Welfare Buildings on St. Paul Place were purchased. Years later, these structures would be razed to become the site for the new hospital which opened in 1963. During her tenure, Sister Veronica is also credited for re-establishing the Mercy Auxiliary in 1951.
Sister M. Helen Ryan, RSM, Administrator
1930 to 1936
Sister Helen led Mercy Hospital during the Great Depression. Offering hope to the disadvantaged, the Sisters of Mercy never asked for money, but made sure the hungry were fed in bread lines behind the hospital every day. Under her watchful eye, Mercy also established its School of Medical Technology in 1932.
Sister M. Siena Delcher, RSM, Superior
1927 to 1930
Under the direction of Sister Siena, Mercy opened a modern Clinical Laboratory which aided in the rapid and accurate diagnosis of illness and disease.
Sister M. Louise McCabe, RSM, Superior
1926 to 1927
Sister Louise headed Mercy Hospital during two years of the Roaring Twenties, a time of great growth and prosperity for the City of Baltimore and its citizens.
Sister M. Thomasina O’Hara, RSM, Superior
1923 to 1926
In 1924, during the tenure of Sister Thomasina, the Sisters of Mercy celebrated the Golden Jubilee of Mercy Hospital and the Silver Anniversary of Mercy’s School of Nursing.
Sister M. Constance McHale, RSM, Superior
1917 to 1920
In 1919, Sister Constance purchased and renovated a building at Calvert and Pleasant Streets to serve as a Student Nurses’ home.
Sister M. Carmelita Hartman, RSM, Superior
1904 to 1917
Sister Carmelita was Superior when the name was changed to Mercy Hospital in 1909. She raised money to build a new hospital wing on Calvert Street which was completed in 1911.
Sister M. Nolasco McColum, RSM, Superior
1892 to 1898
Under the leadership of Sister Nolasco, the hospital establishes the only other Pasteur Institute for the treatment of rabies south of New York City.
Sister M. Imelda Burford, RSM, Superior
1889 to 1892
1898 to 1904
1920 to 1923
Sister Imelda opened the Mercy Hospital School of Nursing which enrolled its first class on December 27, 1898. She led the hospital at the time of the Great Baltimore Fire, when the Sisters provided compassionate care to injured firefighters.
Sister M. Benedicta Desmond, RSM, Superior
1883 to 1889
Sister Benedicta led the efforts to acquire the City Springs land, adjacent to the Jones Falls, where two years earlier the Sisters of Mercy arranged to have John Philip Sousa perform a benefit concert to raise money for their new hospital. Under Sister Benedicta’s direction, a new six-story building opened on December 23, 1889.
Sister M. Edward, RSM, Superior
1880 to 1883
Sister Edward led the hospital in the years following the merger of two of Baltimore’s oldest and most respected institutes for physician training, Washington University and the College of Physicians and Surgeons, which both operated on the site of modern day Mercy.
Sister M. Augustine Gwynne, RSM, Superior
1874 to 1880
NEXT: The Sisters Who Inspired the Mercy Nursing Awards ›
The first six Sisters of Mercy arrived in Baltimore on November 11, 1874 to assume control of a health dispensary on this site. With Sister Augustine Gwynne as superior, they included Sisters Gonzaga Mulhern, Borromeo Slattery, Christina Monaghan, Veronica Flaherty and Stanislaus Matthews.